Thursday, June 28, 2012

Deadline; Book Review

Deadline; A Book Review

Deadline: Book 2 in the Newsflesh trilogy
Author: Mira Grant
Genre: Science Fiction

Synopsis: The story continues  under Shaun's narration. However, he isn't alone. Georgia talks to him, but only he can hear it. Everyone thinks he is crazy, but he couldn't care less. All he cares about is getting revenge on anyone who had a hand in dealing in his beloved sister's death. 
   Now he gets the chance, when a supposed dead CDC doctor comes to his door with information that can change everything he knew. Shaun is now back on the road searching for answers.

This book is just as powerful as the first. It continues the readers emotional ride as Shaun searches for answers with his blogging team. Dare I say, that one third of the way through the book, I was already shedding tears. 

The Good: The book continued to be very well written. Shaun dealing with the grief of losing his sister gives the book a plausible dynamic. Shaun develops from this slow, unsure moving character into a more motivated person just as quickly as the plot develops. He makes a great protagonist in this novel. The reader still has the emotional connection that the readers developed in Feed.  As in Feed, I found some points hard to read because things could have been so different for Shaun. The reader learns and feels along with Shaun and the other bloggers.
   The book continues with the blog posts between chapters, including some unpublished blog posts from his, deceased, sister (Georgia Mason). The book also has a bit of a subplot between Shaun and one of his crew members, Rebecca "Becks". So it was nice to read the tender moments of the story and not everything being completely serious. It also shows how much Shaun is grieving for his sister.
   The ending was a huge surprise for me. I was absolutely dumbfounded. Left speechless, I couldn't have waited to start Blackout right away. Lucky for me I didn't have to wait. I bought the eBook right away! I won't tell you what happens at the end of the book that left me this way, but prepare yourself for the third book review.


The Bad: The book does seem to have a slow start, with Shaun just unsure of what to do. He isn't the same person in the previous novel. He doesn't go into the field like he use to, and isn't as interested in writing. He is lost without his beloved sister (not that this is bad thing. Grieving is absolutely normal). At some points it seems to lack the action that Feed had. However, it does get into it again.


The Ugly (Truth): Even though the book as slow parts, it is still a great read. The ending threw me off guard completely. The good outweighs the bad definitely here. It is a good change of pace from the perspective of Georgia, in the previous novel, to Shaun in this one. I think that many readers can handle the slow moving bits, some including the tender moments with Shaun and Becks.
   The books does seem to give hints at where it will be going. So if you can pick them up, you might be ahead of the rest. ;p

My Final Diagnosis: If you enjoyed Feed, read Deadline. You won't be disappointed. The book is great and had me more than looking forward to the final installment of the trilogy. I absolutely love this book and plan on reading the series over and over again, (yes, I think it is just that good :})


Note: The next post will be on Blackout, the third book. I have already finished reading it and am onto the next book of my choice. As always, I am taking suggestions on both books and fillers. Just leave me a comment here or on my Facebook (if you have it). Hope you guys enjoyed it!


                                                                                                                               ~Bunny~

No comments:

Post a Comment